Monday, February 27, 2006

laziness


Something that annoys me more than being trapped in a small room with a person who is eating oatmeal is being forced to confront my own laziness. Fact: I never deny that I am lazy. Fact: I do rather enjoy said laziness. Fact: It hinders my productivity and stifles my potential. Fiction: I am proud of this.

My inherant laziness (read as: affinity for warm beds and long naps) at times comes in conflict with things that must be done. Things that can be done later? Postponed until tomorrow. Things that I should probably do, but won't hurt me in the long run if I don't? Scrapped. But things I have to do? Given thought and consideration to their capacity to make me happy.

That's all this deadly sloth business is really about, me being happy. Weighing my options and then making a decision based upon what I feel will benefit me most in the long run. Sometimes activity beats out lethargy, like when I decide to stay up all night with Alex instead of getting a few hours of sleep. Other (okay, most) times my bed is just too warm and inviting, or the internet is just far too interesting.

Winter term and I don't get along very well. We never have. My grades always drop around this time of year. I'm not sure if it's because the cold weather depresses me and makes me lazier than usual, or things just tend to jam together in the middle of the school year. Maybe both. I apologize if I'm a downer because of all my napping and consequential stress caused by said napping.

There is a lesson to be learned in all of this! Employ your will power! Don't give in to your sinful lazy ways! Grow a spine and do what is asked of you! Or perhaps the lesson here is just to give in to your lazy nature and be smart about it and not get yourself involved in 5 different things which require major committment.

Regardless, my German class is canceled today and I plan to take full advantage of this fortuitous occurance. After all, I have 27 hours, 30 minutes, 30 seconds worth of extracurricular things to do this week, and only 19.5 hours of free time. Good luck, me. But I'll probably just take a nap.

LOL,
Cathi

No comments:

Post a Comment